- Highlights and updates are a little thin this week since a lot of the team is still recovering from All Hands.
- cmkm added support for Picture-in-Picture subtitles for Frontend Masters! Check out an example here.
- Shane made a change to allow accessing quick actions (via ‘> <SPACEBAR>’) even when the user has removed them from the suggestions.
- Once bug 1790855 lands, the screenshots toolbar button will be enabled on about: pages when `screenshots.browser.component.enabled` is set to true. Bug is currently queued for landing. Set `screenshots.browser.component.enabled` to true to see the ongoing screenshots work.
- Across the tree, more than 25% of our JSMs have been converted to ESMs! Keep up the good work, everybody!
Friends of the Firefox team
- DJ Walker
- Jonathan Sudiaman
Volunteers that fixed more than one bug
- Brian Pham
- Nolan Ishii
New contributors (🌟 = first patch)
- Alvin converted browser/actors/PageInfoChild.jsm JSM module to ESM.
- Brian Pham converted AboutReader and FromValidation from JSM to ESM.
- [:samihda] updated browser_tabReorder_overflow.js to use BrowserTestUtils.overflowTabs function
- 🌟 DJ Walker removed unused style rule (advancedPrefs).
- eliang converted Picture in Picture JSM modules to ESMs.
- 🌟 Nolan Ishii converted browser/actors/BrowserTab* and browser/actors/ContentSearch* JSM modules to ESMs.
- According to the L10n Development team, we are currently on track to have all DTD strings removed from the codebase by the time Firefox 107 uplifts!
- eemeli is in the process of converting all of our PluralForm .properties string usages to Fluent
- ESMified status:
- browser: 26.4%
- Various patches from CalState students have been landing.
- toolkit: 19.0%
- Total: 27.5% (up from 11.5%)
- remote/ converted all their files – 100%!
- devtools conversions underway.
- browser: 26.4%
- #esmification on Matrix
- Migration Document (with a walkthrough!)
Lint, Docs and Workflow
- We now disallow the “use strict”; directive in mjs files.
- We’ve just finished removing the remaining exclusions for no-unused-vars on the global scope for xpcshell-tests. Hence this is now enabled everywhere that we’re able to do so (some parts of dom/ and all of layout/ still have no-unused-vars disabled).
- We are working towards switching to a new jsdoc plugin for ESLint.
- The existing ESLint rules are deprecated, so we are transitioning.
- We’ll define some common configurations for everyone to use rather than utilizing different configurations across the tree.
Migration Improvements (CalState LA Project)
- Students have mostly rolled off of the ESMification Good First Bugs and have started to focus on improvements to the migration experience
- Research is underway on favicon importing for:
- The students are also attempting to add new migrators for:
- And they’re also investigating how best to perform migration when Firefox and/or the target browser are installed as a Snap package
- Thank you Evan Liang from Cal State for converting the Picture-in-Picture JSMs to ESMs!